Founder & Director, Yale Center for Faith & Culture
Henry B. Wright Professor of Systematic Theology
We seek a world in which deep reflection on flourishing life is central to education, spiritual formation, and public discourse so that every person can wrestle with life’s most important questions and take hold of a life worthy of our humanity.
virtues & Values
We aspire to these virtues and values in our personal lives; we hope our work exemplifies them; and we seek to instill them among all of our audiences.
- Love of God, and therefore, love of the world and love of knowledge
- Love of interlocutors, especially opponents
- Hope beyond understanding
- Courage: a readiness to suffer for love’s sake
- Gratitude and humility: “What do you have that you did not receive?”
- Firmness with a soft touch: neither rigidity or frivolity
- Faithfulness: living, dynamic, and improvisational
- Theological education
- Formation of the whole person
- Principled pluralism, truth-seeking public discourse
- Pedagogical excellence and experimentation
- Justice & the global common good
- Embrace of the other: the neighbor, the stranger, the enemy
- Between persons, porous boundaries and flexible identities
- Forgiveness & reconciliation
Life Worth Living
Reviving dialogue with a diversity of world faiths and wisdom traditions to ask life's most important question: What is the shape of flourishing life?
Christ & Flourishing
What it means to be human and how to flourish are hotly contested in our world. We believe that Jesus Christ is the key to human flourishing, and that his life and work can revitalize and transform Christian higher education, the church, and through them, the world.
From 2003 to 2018, the Yale Center for Faith & Culture has pursued our purpose along a variety of completed initiatives, always dedicated to building bridges of religious, political, and cultural discourse, fostering truth-seeking conversations, and impacting change in individual and community life. Browse our archive of legacy projects below.
Theology of Joy & the Good Life
Building a transformative movement driven by a Christian articulation of the joy that attends the flourishing human life.
Faith & Globalization
Exploring the profound impact of religious faith in a world where political, economic and social spheres are increasingly interconnected.
Ethics & Spirituality in the Workplace
Encouraging business leaders to incorporate faith-based virtues into their work and promoting efforts to align business practice with authentic human flourishing and the global common good.
A Common Word
Loving our Muslim neighbors by affirming our common call to love God and neighbor.